Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
2017 Robert H. Moser Essay Award: "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Physician Behind Sherlock Holmes"", by Stacy J. Kim, MD, fourth-year radiology resident in diagnostic radiology at Saint Louis University (graduating in June 2018) (AΩA, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2013)
2016 Robert H. Moser Essay Award: "Pan Am Professor", by Nicoline Schiess, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Neurology at Johns Hopkins University
To honor the late Robert H. Moser, MD (AΩA, Georgetown University, 1969). Awarded to one outstanding essay celebrating the life of a physician like Dr. Moser who has enriched the world through his/her career in medicine.
Dr. Moser organized and worked in one of the first MASH units during the Korean War. He was a pioneering flight controller for NASA during the Project Mercury and Project Apollo space programs, served as Chief of Medicine at Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii, and treated patients at the Kalaupapa Leper Colony in Molokai. He was Chief of Medicine at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, editor of JAMA, Executive Vice President of the American College of Physicians and a member of The Pharos Editorial Board.
One award of $4,500 for an essay highlighting the life of a physician who has enriched the world of medicine. The winning essay will be published in The Pharos. The winning author must submit a W-9 form prior to issuance of the award check.
All physicians. AΩA membership is not required, however, AΩA members who submit an essay must have active status. Physicians on the AΩA Board of Directors or The Pharos Editorial Board are not eligible.
Entries must by received by October 1, 2018, and must be submitted via the online form.
The recipient of the Moser Award will be announced December 3, 2018.
Requirements for the Essay
- Essay must be an original work.
- The essay must be biographical, and either sketch out the life, or a particular highlight of the physician’s career. The physician written about may be of any nation, and from any time, including one still living. Essays may not be autobiographical.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. All pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, are limited to 20. Reference citations of websites are not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.
- The essay must not have been offered to, or published by, any other journal or entered in any other contest.
- A committee of The Pharos Editorial Board will review the essays and select the winner on the basis of originality, scholarship, style and composition, and relevance.
Requirements for winning essay:
When notified of winning the award, the author must provide photo copy documentation of references as follows: title pages of all books cited; the first and last pages of book chapters cited; the table of contents of the particular issue of the journal in which a cited article appeared; copy of pages showing source of all quotations from the primary sources, including page numbers.
Essays not receiving the award:
Essays may be revised and submitted for standard review for publication in The Pharos.
Contact Libby Appel at (720) 859-4149 or email@example.com
Submit an Essay for Consideration
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
Updated on March 28, 2018.